The recipe of the week is… *drumroll* … OVEN BAKED FRIES.
Who doesn’t love fries?!
I’m sure some people aren’t into it (probably my Asian grandparents :/) but I’ve never met someone who hated it, at least :p Let me know if you know anyone who actually hates fries – that’d be a rare specimen.
Personally, I used to be super into McDonald’s fries – even though it’s laden with preservatives and chemicals. Maybe that’s why it was so addictive. It’s like they sprinkled crack cocaine on those spuds, I swear.
(I’m just kidding – don’t sue a small fry ahem like me :p)
But hey! Fries need not be filled with nasty chemicals. Of course, I’m not going to lie to you and say that this is a health food, because even oven baked fries like this one should still be eaten in moderation. Still, it can definitely find its place in most diets, unless you’re on something extreme like keto, then it’s a tough world for you.
The point is, it’s not a salad, but what is life if all you’re going to eat is salad?
This oven baked fries is perfect when you want to have fun but not too much fun. It’s controlled fun. Sounds terrible, but does pigging out -> feeling super guilty about it -> feel depressed -> cry -> eat ice cream -> pig out sound fun to you?
Not to me, at least. I’m sooooo done with those kinda toxic relationships flips hair. Now I just want to eat real food that is delicious and yet doesn’t leave me crippled and wanting for more desperately, you feel me?
And so we must thank the heavens for this amazingly yummy creation – oven baked fries coated in olive oil and smoked paprika. Mmm.
Guys. I mean. C’mon.
Touch your heart and I want you to be honest with yourself, okay?
Don’t you just want to stuff your face with that?
If you won’t admit it I will. It’s 10:30PM now as I’m typing this and I’m wishing the real thing is in front of me and not a photo. Sigh. I guess life (and this post) must goes on.
Alright, enough of my rambling. I think I talk too much nonsense sometimes. Do people even read this part of the post?! I’ll save you some scrolling and get right on to the recipe :p
As usual, give it a shot and let me know how it goes!
Side note: if you don’t have smoked paprika, other varieties of paprika (like sweet paprika) would do too – it’d still be darn delicious. But smoked paprika is really something special, if you’ve never tried cooking with it, you should!
Vegan + Gluten Free + No Onion No Garlic
Crispy Paprika Oven Baked Fries
- 1 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika smoked
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes optional
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C/400 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes into matchsticks, about 1/4" thick, and let it cook briefly in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Throw away the starchy water and pat dry the potatoes. Removing the starch helps the potatoes to crisp.
- Make sure you have already dried your potatoes as much as you can before this step. Combine olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper with the potatoes, and lay them out flat on a non-stick baking tray (you can line it with parchment paper if you prefer).
- Bake at 200C/400F for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway. You may need slightly less/more time depending on your oven so do check it when it's almost 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle some parsley flakes once they're out of the oven if you have them, and enjoy your yummy, can't-stop-eating-them fries! 🙂