Another stir-fry recipe! This spinach stir-fry is super fast and easy too. Yay for easy recipes 🙂
I personally love cooking stir-fried stuff because they are usually (if not always!) a one pan or one wok thing. Y’know, I’m pretty lazy when it comes to these things, hehe.
It’s cheap too, since there are not many ingredients and I suppose spinach shouldn’t be that hard to find? I sure hope so!
Apart from the usual vegetable oil, salt, blahblahblah, you really only need three ingredients: spinach, toasted sesame oil, and garlic. Doesn’t sound too hard, eh?
One thing though – I can’t stress getting good quality toasted sesame oil enough. I used to think they were all kinda the same, until I bought a shitty one because it was cheaper.
Being cheap has its disadvantages. Oh well. I’d like to think the advantages still outweigh the disadvantages :p
Anyway, you don’t use a lot of toasted sesame oil at one time, so actually a small-ish bottle can last quite a long time. PLUS, if you get a lousy bottle, you might need to use more and even after using more there is some off-ish taste to it. Ughhhhh. Bad memories.
Well, I can’t say that I’ve tried ALL the toasted sesame oil on Amazon but hey, I’ve tried a few brands and I do know this one by Kevala is pretty darn good, so I definitely recommend it!
Another thing I’d like to mention is that you can make this without garlic too – actually that’s how I used to do it. So if you don’t have it on hand or if that’s part of your dietary restriction, don’t worry! Just omit it. As long as you’ve got a really nice toasted sesame oil that’s fresh and nutty and awesome, you’re good to go 🙂
This spinach stir-fry with garlic and sesame oil is really delicious and goes great with rice or noodles. It’s really easy and quick too, and speed is kinda important in Chinese cooking (or Asian cooking in general)! That’s because one meal usually consists of two to four dishes (and that’s excluding the rice!) depending on how hardworking you are, so if each dish takes a looong time, well, good luck! You’ll be sweating in the kitchen for quite awhile :p
Pair this with a tofu dish and rice and you’ve got yourself a easy meal 🙂
Check out my Tofu In Ginger Soy Sauce recipe if you need some ideas!
Vegan + Gluten Free + Low Carb
Spinach Stir Fry With Garlic And Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups spinach chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- sesame seeds optional
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- Wash and chop spinach roughly, and set aside.
- Heat up frying pan with one teaspoon of vegetable oil (you might need more if using a not non-stick pan).
- While pan is heating up, mince two cloves of garlic.
- Fry the garlic in medium to high heat until it starts to brown.
- Add in the spinach, mirin and soy sauce.
- When the spinach has cooked (which should be quite fast), turn off the heat and add in one teaspoon of good quality toasted sesame oil. If using a low quality toasted sesame oil, you might need two teaspoons (refer to notes).
- Transfer to a plate and garnish with sesame seeds if you have them. This goes well as a side to rice or noodles. Enjoy!