I don’t know about you, but I find paying for a salad outside a huge waste of money.
It’s usually just a bunch of raw stuff tossed around in some sauce anyway, so why can’t I just buy those raw stuff and toss them around in some sauce myself? Doesn’t seem that hard to me! I know it’s my Asian cheapskate genes talking over here but I can’t be the only one who thinks this way right?!
So unless there is something special in the salad, I almost never order salads outside.
It’s too expensive for my broke ass and too illogical of a decision for my mathematical self to accept.
The good news is I like to cook and salads are actually pretty fun stuff. You can change things up really easily and there are just so many different types of salad you can possibly make. Kinda like food lego, no? :p
To be fair, sometimes they turn out terrible (and I have to force myself to finish that piece of crap I just made), but sometimes they’re really good. And I know I can’t get it elsewhere unless I make it myself!
That’s why I’m sharing one of my success stories with you today: an Asian-inspired tofu, apple and arugula salad topped with a tahini vinaigrette. So that you can make it yourself at home too 🙂 It’s easy, I promise!
And you know what makes this so freaking good?
Apples and the tahini vinaigrette. They go superbly well together, and if you don’t believe me, go try it and feel free to tell me that combination tastes like shit afterwards in the comments section. I guarantee you won’t.
I can’t tell you what it is, but I can tell you it’s really good!
And when you mix them in with the slightly bitter arugula, you get a really simple yet delicious salad. I could’ve stopped at that point but I like my meals to be more complete aka “I need protein on this thing”, so I thought tofu would be a perfect fit.
The birth of an easy, inexpensive and not-boring salad that is super delicious!
Give it a shot and let me know how it goes 😉
Vegan + Gluten Free + Low Carb + No Onion No Garlic
Tofu And Arugula Salad With Tahini Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup
- 1 apple
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu extra firm
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil for frying tofu
- sesame seeds optional, for garnish
- Mix the tahini, apple cider vinegar, toasted sesame oil and brown rice syrup in a small bowl for the tahini vinaigrette. Set it aside.
- Slice the 1/2 block of tofu crosswise into 8 pieces. They should be square-ish.
- Sprinkle some salt on each side of the tofu pieces and pan fry them in vegetable oil at medium to high heat. If you prefer you can bake them instead.
- Cut the apple into halves and remove the core. Place the apple halves facing down and slice about 1/8" thick.
- Rinse the arugula and combine the arugula, apple and fried tofu in a mixing bowl. Pour the vinagrette over the bowl and mix the salad thoroughly.
- Portion the ingredients into serving bowls and sprinkle with some sesame seeds as garnish if you wish.